About Us

On the 17th of April 1972, a small group of Christians came forth out of Mt. Sinai Baptist Church to begin a new ministry for the Lord.  The church was organized by the late pastor, Rev. C. H. White.  The name "Victory" was selected because it reflected the very nature of the church and its leader.  The original chartered members were Mrs. Magnolia White, Kenny White, Lucius White, Mother Berline Frazier, Helen Hemphill, William and Maxine Watkins, Ruth Roberson, Shirley Wright, Oris Pittman, Frank Boone, Clarence Sanders, Jo Ann Wright, Linda Goode (presently an active member), Carolyn Higgins, Kristen Hill, O'Neil Akins, Sylvia Simms, Marvin Perkins, Donna Maxwell, Don and Butter Nelson, James Robertson Jr., Clifford Hogan, Renee Harris, Malcolm Robertson, Raymond Gear, and Charles Curry.

At the first worship service, which was held in the home of Mother Berlin Frazier, the church had 28 members.  Sunday worship services continued to be held at the Frazier residence until the church was able to secure the Filipino Hall on Market Street.

As the church continued to make progress, the Lord opened the hearts of the members of the 31st Seventh Day Adventist Church to allow Victory Baptist Church to utilize their multipurpose facility for Sunday services.  In 1973, after worshipping and working for one year at that locati allow Victory Baptist Church to utilize their multipurpose facility for Sunday services.  In 1973, after worshipping and working for one year at that location, the Lord provided the means for the church to purchase three acres of land on Division Street, between Euclid and 1st Street.  In 1976, the descision was made to sell the property and purchase the facility located at 1045 So. 29th Street, San Diego, California.

On April 2, 1991 the Lord called Pastor White to rest.  The Church was left in mourning over the lost of such a spiritual leader.  Part of Rev. White's legacy was the Associate Ministers he trained, nourished, ordained, and left behind to carry on the Lord's work including his son Kenneth White.  In the absence of Rev. White, these associate ministers in conjunction with the Deacon and Trustee board of the church carried on admirably and with the Lord's help kept the church in tact both spiritually and financially until God called a permanent leader.  As an interim appointment, The Senior Associate Minister, Rev. Samuel Chestang, an astute Bible teacher was chosen as leader of the ministerial staff while the section was in progress.

In April 1992, the church voted unanimously to call the young Rev. George A. Williams (G.A.) to be the next pastor of the Victory Baptist Church.  Pastor Williams as the time of his appointment was serving as Co-Pastor of Mt. Carmel Missionary Baptist Church of San Diego.

In 1996, we began to hold Saturday evening services in Lemon Grove which opened doors for the Church to be planted in Lemon Grove.  After much prayer, two Churches were established at the 29th street location.  This allowed Pastor William's vision of a facility in the community of Lemon Grove to be realized, under the name of Greater Victory Baptist Church.  In November of 1997 the Church was blessed with the facility at 1770 Glebe Road, Lemon Grove, California.  The Lord continued to bless Greater Victory.  In 1999, in spite of our numerical numbers, we were blessed to pay off the 29th Street Mortgage early.  The church is currently experiencing tremendous growth and success in the areas of Worship, Christian Discipleship, Fellowship, Ministry, Evangelism, and Stewarship.